Many consumers are constantly hooked on their smartphones and tablets and hence businesses are trying to get their own apps out and capitalize on the trend to serve employees and customers.
Some companies have faced failure because if apps are developed too quickly, the updates need to be churned out even faster based on the feedback and functionality. Pushing out an app before time can be detrimental to the business identity as well as business interests.
Develop a Mobile App Roadmap
Before rolling out your intended mobile app, there should be a precise plan for rollout. The goal of the app, its success assessment and its role in improving businesses should be spelled out accurately.
There should be a detailed roadmap of each of the steps and its costs. The design and development of an average app is in the range of $200,000 and higher depending on the complexity of the apps. Build padding into the timeline and always assume more time for development and testing than needed for a sizeable buffer.
One should research user interests and the trends comprehensively from the app. Get the right ideas to build the app, then program it. Never do something that competitors do, since the trend might just pass away.
Choose an Outside Agency or Full-Time Mobile App Developers
- Carefully evaluate whether development should remain in-house or needs to be outsourced to an app development agency or a team of freelance developers. Large companies have ample resources and larger IT staffs. Companies with a strong presence and multiple mobile apps, can have a team working for the project.
- It is difficult to find one person with complete skills who can take the load of developing the entire app. It is better to rely on a team of developers with several strong points.
- Sometimes companies rely on an individual and then opt for an outside agency after things do not work out. According to a Forrester report, about 17 percent of IT decision-makers consider hiring mobile app developers is a priority.
- Look for firms that match the size and ambition of your organization. Big consultant houses often land up with bigger contracts.
- Also, one should be sure if the agency has experience with smart mobility trends and integrated apps with ERP systems and the like. Most businesses would need apps that are integrated with their existing systems so that the investments bear fruit with a strong ROI.
Nominate the right IT Project Manager
Designate someone in your company to handle the goings-on with the mobile app development vendor or agency. If the app is meant for marketing employees, one of the marketing leads will be a good representative for the company for the project. They need to follow up with the goals of the app and even check out if the app needs maintenance at a later date.
The perfect line of business people needs to be associated with the on-demand mobile app. The IT team can be collaborating on the same but business leads perform better.
Do a Pilot before Developing the App
Developers need to take a break and learn about what the users like and dislike about the entire plan. For getting a proper feedback, developers can form small pilot groups and ask testers to note down pros and cons of the app.
This activity will help developers to understand beforehand about the chinks associated with the app idea and whether it will work with the niche users or the entire audience.
Ask for User Feedback
- Request tons of feedback when making the pilot and have a close assessment of the app before it is released to the market.
- The feedback process should continue throughout the lifecycle of the app and should not stop after a phase is complete.
- Forrester recommends the use of efficient mobile feedback management tools including TestFlight or App47 for getting feedback from users.
- Piling up feedback and using it for development is very important. Limiting the responses is also important so that one understands why the users are happy or unhappy with the app idea.
- The app development process also depends on the previous perception of a company, and also includes big-money investments.
- Mobile apps are necessary tools to reach a business target audience but one can’t push costs and the involved time required.
Mobile app development can be a hassle if the right preparations aren’t done. It is important to do the requirement analysis of the app idea and concept before venturing out with the development process. Mobile app designers and developers should have the right idea about the audience and the motive behind the app. Additionally, the right budget can lead to profitability and even make a cult hit out of the app leading to spinoffs in every direction.